Sweetbread, Cucumber, Nasturtium, Elixir d’Anvers
Vilhjalmur Sigurdarson - Souvenir
- 250 g nasturtium leaves
- 100 g ice cubes
- 1 tsp mustard
- 80 g water
- fine salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- white balsamic vinegar
- Elixir d’Anvers
- 8 very small cucumbers cut lengthwise, or 1 large cucumbers cut into chunks
- sunflower oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 350-400 g calf sweetbreads, cleaned
- 80 g butter
- 1 tsp honey
- small nasturtium leaves
- Add the nasturtium leaves to the ice cubes, mustard, and water in a blender, and whizz into a smooth sauce. Season with a pinch of salt, olive oil, vinegar, and Elixir d’Anvers.
- Caramelize the cucumbers in sunflower oil and a pinch of salt over medium heat. Remove from the heat and keep to one side.
- Fry the garlic in sunflower oil over medium heat. Add the sweetbreads and gently fry until crisp on one side. Turn over and add the butter. Baste the sweetbread constantly with the melted butter. Cooking the sweetbreads can take 16 to 19 minutes.
- Return the cucumbers to the stove when the sweetbreads are almost ready and toss with 3 cl Elixir d’Anvers, 2 cl vinegar, and 1 tsp honey. Leave the cucumbers to caramelise until all the fluid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with salt.
- Whisk the sauce and spoon on a plate. Arrange the sweetbreads and cucumber on top and finish with small nasturtium leaves.