Mussels, Elixir d’Anvers, Yellow Beetroot, Carrot, Thyme, Watercress
Seppe Nobels - Graanmarkt 13
- 2 kg mussels (preferably Bouchot mussels)
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 shallots, sliced into rings
- 1 yellow beetroot
- 2 yellow or orange carrots
- 10 cl Elixir d’Anvers
- 5 cl Elixir d’Anvers for the beetroot sauce
- 20 cl dry white wine
- 30 g butter for the mussels
- 40 g butter for the beetroot sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Finely slice the raw beetroot and carrots.
- Bring the beetroot juice to the boil together with the butter, mustard and Elixir d’Anvers. Season to taste with pepper and salt. Mix with a hand blender until airy.
- Cook the mussels in a wok pan with the lid on until they have opened, together with the Elixir d’Anvers, white wine, butter, sprigs of thyme, shallot rings and a finely chopped clove of garlic. Season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
- Serve the mussels in a deep bowl, together with the raw beetroot and carrot, the beetroot sauce and the Elixir d’Anvers. Finish with peppery watercress and seasonal herbs or flowers if desired.