Mackerel, Rhubarb, Turnips, Elixir de Spa
Vilhjalmur Sigurdarson - Souvenir
- 4 large mackerel fillets
- coarse sea salt
- 2 stems of rhubarb
- white balsamic vinegar
- fine salt
- 8 small turnips
- sunflower oil
- extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cl Elixir de Spa
- a handful of lovage
- Run your fingers over the mackerel fillets from the tail for any stray bones and remove them using tweezers.
- Cover the mackerel fillets with a layer of coarse sea salt and pickle for about 10 minutes. Gently wash the mackerel under cold running water, pat dry, cover, and chill.
- Peel the rhubarb and slice thinly using a mandolin. Put in a sealable container, sprinkle with white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt, and keep refrigerated.
- Blanch the turnips for 2 minutes in boiling water until just cooked. Refresh in cold water.
- Sprinkle sunflower oil on the mackerel fillets, and fry skin-side down in a non-stick pan over high heat until the skin is crispy. Degrease on kitchen paper and arrange on a deep plate.
- Season the turnips with a pinch of salt and sprinkle with olive oil. Arrange around the mackerel.
- Roll up some rhubarb slices and place on the fillet.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp rhubarb juice with 3 tbsp olive oil and add Elixir de Spa to make a vinaigrette. Drizzle around the fish.
- Finish with some lovage.